We bring to CWG our individual talents. Put together, we display an abundance of rich, beautiful gifts. The many committee needs this month are opportunities for those gifts to shine!
Blog: Job opening for Blog Chairperson
This opportunity is for a leader familiar with WordPress who can oversee everything going on in the Blog, check the posts, and report to the Board about updates. This person interacts with writers and has lots of helpers including a submissions editor, copyeditors and proofreaders. Contact: Ellen Gable Hrkach or Nancy Ward.
Status of the CWG Blog:
- Karen Boyce is back to blogging intermittently after taking a break to care for her mom.
- Dennis McGeehan is starting a monthly series on freelance writing.
- Karina Fabian is starting a series based on her writing workshops.
- Kathryn Cunningham is doing an excellent job as submissions editor, keeping the daily schedule going.
- Secret agents Barb Grady Szyszkiewicz and Joe Wetterling have volunteered to catch us when we err and point it out to us.
- Judy Klein volunteered to copyedit.
- Theresa Frailey, daughter of AK Frailey, is coming on as an intern-proofreader. She may also be doing a series (intermittent) on Young Adult literature from a young adult point of view.
- Bloggers, please post your drafts at least three days before publication date to keep these new volunteers busy!
CALA (Catholic Arts and Letters Award): Job opening for CALA Chairperson. The person we need for this prestigious assignment can begin now and be well prepared for the next award in 2016. This Chair works with writers, judges, and winners of this literary award. Contact Ellen Gable Hrkach
Catholic Book News: Ellen Gable Hrkach. Ellen reports that “The February issue is scheduled for Feb. 23 with three books. I’m showcasing three books per issue in order to catch up on the backlog of books that need to be featured this year. March’s issue is created and just needs cover images and proofreading.” It would only take a short conversion for Ellen to train a volunteer who likes to select book reviews and put them together for the website.
Educational Committee: Dennis P. McGeehan, Any suggestions for Dennis? He’s busy posting publishing markets to our Facebook group.
Facebook: Karina Fabian. Karina reports, “Our FB group is going well. We are touring Ron O’Gorman’s book, FATAL RHYTHM. In the future, I’ll alternate between a fiction and a nonfiction title. Maybe change name from Book Bomb to Book Blast.”
Public Relations: Stuart Lynn Sexton. Stuart can use a co-chair who loves social media
Retreat: (Seasonal) Ann Margaret Lewis and Margaret Realy. Sam Rocha and Ken O’Gorek are our speakers for the retreat this fall, “Your Word is my Delight,” October 25-29 2015. stfrancis.ws/retreats.html, DeWitt, Michigan
Seal of Approval: Chairperson needed who likes to work with a team evaluating books. Interim Chair: Ellen Gable Hrkach. This quarter we were filled to capacity (10 books) by the opening day, which was a surprise. Will have awarding by March 31. Second quarter submissions open April 1.
Zenit: Dennis P. McGeehan has a new volunteer, Jeannie Ewing.
Critique Groups: In addition to our official committees, we have two critique groups. The CWG Non-fiction Critique Group is co-facilitated by Connie Rossini and Nancy Ward and has tone opening. Don Mulcare facilitates the CWG Fiction Critique Group. Contact these facilitators for guidelines.