“October had tremendous possibility. The summer’s oppressive heat was a distant memory, and the golden leaves promised a world full of beautiful adventures. They made me believe in miracles.”
― Sarah Guillory, Reclaimed
And so October has possibility for all of us in the Catholic Writers Guild. Possibility for advancing in our writing skills, our marketing and networking, social media and spiritual growth. Here are a few avenues to explore through the CWG committees:
CBN (Catholic Book News): Dawn Witzke – The CBN this month featured A Soldier Surrenders: The Conversion of St. Camillus de Lellis by Susan Peek and 10 Steps to Girlfriend Status by Cynthia Toney
CWCO: Karina Fabian and Laura Lowder – Karina and Laura are well into preparation and training for the Catholic Writers Online Conference. This week, they plan to meet with volunteers. This is a fun conference to help with as the networking and service are intense.
Facebook/Publicity/Social Media/Newsletter: Karina Fabian –
- We are moving the Guild group from Closed to Secret. Members can still be invited in, and we’ll post the secret link in the monthly newsletter. Making it secret will stop non-members from asking. This can take hours each month from moderators’ time just to check people against the roster. There should be no problems, but if we start to find issues, we’ll move it back to Closed.
- Dennis Fraley reports that Colleen Rooney’s Celebrating Advent and Christmas with Children was selected for the CWG Book Blast on September 17.
- Publicity: We are finally starting to get some publicity workings going on a regular basis. I’d like to discuss starting a full-on Publicity committee. I volunteer to lead it if I can get a committed First Officer and people who, like Cesar Chacon and Stuart Sexton, will take full responsibility for their own sections.
- Social Media: I intend to train Stuart Sexton to handle the entire Guild social media postings, from creation to posting so that he can fully take over before the new year.
- Newsletter: the first newsletter went out fine, but there are still some folks not getting it — not sure why. Ironically, Cesar Chacon, the editor, is one of them. Let’s make sure we double check our email addresses and send in corrections. Too often, people use a “spamdump” email for signing up for things. The next newsletter is set to run Oct 10, and we’ll try to keep it going the tenth of every month.
Membership: Maureen Smith – We have a new system in for membership that will hopefully make it easier for members as well as us! Active members now total 433
All these varied committees hold possibility and promise for volunteers, as well as those following. Contact the committee chairs through their email links:
CALA (Catholic Arts and Letters Award): Carol Ann Chybowski
SOA (Seal of Approval): Ellen Gable Hrkach
Zenit : Dennis McGeehan
In additon to our wonderful committess, we have two CWG Critique Groups:
CWG Fiction Critique Group: Contact Don Mulcare
CWG Non-Fiction Critique Group: Contact Nancy Ward
For other concerns and suggestions about our fabulous committees, contact Nancy Ward, Coordinator of Committees.
by Nancy Ward, Coordinator of Committees